Followers

Monday, July 24, 2017

July Garden


Dwarf Alberta Spruce and Dianthus
 This year my July garden is filled with hits and misses. I love the way the potted plants in front of my garage turned out. The Dwarf Alberta Spruce were small enough to allow room for some colorful Dianthus to brighten up the driveway. I've grown these evergreens in front of the garage in the past, and enjoy the easy care, and greenery year round. Eventually, they get too large to add annuals as large and dense as Dianthus, so I'm glad I decided to go for it this year. Next year, I'll be better off with something like pansies which have a looser shape allowing space for the spruce to grow.

Astilbes
These Astilbes are as showy and easy care as it gets! They've filled in so well there is "next to no" weeding in this area, and the feathery flowers add texture and interest even after the color has faded.

Lavender
This year's Lavender is a definite miss. They needed a dramatic cutting back in the spring. The result is pretty wimpy looking. Let's hope 2018 brings better blooms and fragrance!

Coriopsis
 The Coriopsis are doing great. This photo was taken in late June. Since then they have doubled in size.

Baptisia Australias (False Indigo)
 The purple flowers of Baptisia have turned into seed pods. The first year this happened I was worried I would have to cut them all out to prevent the whole plant from going to seed. However, after a little research I felt confident about leaving them. Making this another easy care plant that takes up a lot of space and shades out the weeds!

Hollyhocks
Although you can't tell from this photo, the Hollyhocks are another miss. Last year I planted four varieties. This peach is the only one that came back full strength, but quickly became so infested I had to cut it down. One other variety with purple flowers came back as a batch of small seedlings rather than a single plant. That might have been great, except that they too became infested and had to go.

Hydrangeas
Hydrangeas - One of my favorite flowers! Looks like I was a little late with the soil acidifier this year. They are usually a deeper blue with deep green leaves.

Day Lillies and Cosmos
This easy care border of Day Lillies and boxwood was planted by the previous homeowner, making them 16-17 years old. I do very little here other than clean up when they die back in Fall.

Hosta Blue Angel
I love this variety of Hosta, but if I want it to last I'll need to get out the fish fertilizer soon. Otherwise, the deer will feast on it.

Coleus
 The Coleus by my basement door is also looking in need of a feeding. I expect it to double in size by next month's post.


Tiny Tuff Stuff Hydrangeas
Oddly, only two of these Hydrangeas bloomed this year. The other three get a little more sun. I have a feeling they budded during a warm spell this winter, and were stunted by the subsequent freeze. Although it makes this area seem a little lop-sided, the bloomers are looking wonderful! In the past I used lime to generate pink blossoms. The past few years, I've kinda been liken the purple.

Monarda (Bee Balm)
I was slow to get the camera out, and missed capturing these beauties in their prime. After only a few days, they had begun to fade, and within a week they were gone.

Purple Coneflower  and Drumstick Alliums
Enjoy the lazy informality in this area. The tall stalks all lean on one another, eventually bending over into the pathway as they begin to fade.

Lemon Balm
I have a love-hate relationship with the Lemon Balm. I love how I can cut it back to nothing and it bounces back. I hate the race to be sure I cut it back before the flowers turn to seed and it starts spreading everywhere.

High Bush Blueberries
Haven't had a single blueberry this year! We have an abundance of squirrels and chipmunks this year and I've decided it isn't worth the battle. Maybe next year!

Oregano and Sage
One of my favorite hits this year is this small planter of herbs. Love the harmonious variety of color and texture. Notice the morning glory vine on the right? I didn't plant that this year. It volunteered, and now I'm training it up and around the railing.

Laura S. Pringle is the author of The Pringle Plan, a series of educational guides.  

See books by Laura S. Pringle on Amazon

©2017 Laura S. Pringle. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments.