Followers

Monday, July 17, 2017

A Day Trip to Guilford


Guilford, CT
The charming seaside town of Guilford hosts the Guilford Art Center's Craft Expo every summer, on the town green. Here I enjoyed exploring the wide selection of jewelry, scarfs, sculptures, wooden bowls, wood pens and much more. My favorite booth was Weaver Mary Mandarino's! Mary weaves the softest fibers of rayon, silk and cotton to create her luxurious scarves and wraps. In addition to the town's many restaurants you'll also find food trucks, tables, and chairs set up on the green for a complete outdoor dining experience. I went for a slice of pizza and a chocolate ice cream cone!


Guilford Town Green


I wish all town's had a picturesque town green. Guilford's is nice and large with walking paths, benches, statues and plenty of trees. Small local businesses, housed in historic buildings, line the four streets surrounding the green. A drive down any of the side streets is a step back in time as you find yourself in the historic district. I love seeing the well cared for neighborhoods, with tree lined streets and flowering gardens.


The Thomas Griswold House
Next on my journey was a visit to the local historical society's Thomas Griswold House. I've toured many such homes over the years, but I still enjoy seeing how people lived long ago. 



From there I continued south to Whitfield street, which led to beautiful views of the Long Island Sound and a marina.


With views like this, I will definitely be coming back for a lobster roll and clam chowder this fall!





Are we on Easter Island? No, this sculpture stands outside a medical research facility, The Rothberg Institute, across the street from the marina.


I can never resist  a photo of a pretty window box.


The surprise of my day trip was a UFO sighting! The spaceship house near the marina is one of those things that makes a day trip truly memorable. Unexpected and jaw-dropping, I had to park my car and walk back to take a closer look - and a few photos. The size is enormous! It turns out it is not actually a house, but a condo complex. You can see inside one of the units by clicking here.

All in all, a great day. Determined not to ruin it by getting stuck in traffic on I-95, I stuck to Rt. 1 - The Boston Post Rd. Designated a scenic route, this road takes you from Guilford to Old Saybrook. With few commercial districts, the enjoyable drive is filled with views of lush green lawns, trees, historic homes and lovely gardens. Along the way, I made note of towns I'll have to go back to visit - Madison, Clinton, Westbrook. Another day, another day trip!


Laura S. Pringle is the author of The Pringle Plan, a series of educational guides. 

 See books by Laura S. Pringle on Amazon

 ©2017 Laura S. Pringle. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments.