Followers

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Scotland Highland Games

Feeling in need of experiencing my ancestral roots, I couldn’t wait to go to the Scotland Highland Games on Sunday. The weather reports had hurricane Matthew staying far to the south of Connecticut, so I felt good to go! I started preparing last Thursday by searching my Scotland Pinterest board for some traditional recipes. Many of the recipes no longer fit my diet. I rarely eat meat, dairy is out, and I’m a teetotaler.  However, being a sandwich lover at heart, I loved the idea of hand held Shepherd’s pie pasties, and gluten free Scotch pies. Both are made with lamb. So, when I discovered Sterling’s own Ekonk Farm had a booth at the Bozrah Farmers Market Friday evening, I knew I had a chance to buy some pasture raised ground lamb. Sure enough they had a package of the frozen meat, and I’m looking forward to trying the recipes one cold winter day.
As for the Scotland Highland Games….well….you see….oh I’ll just say it – I didn’t go. I am and always have been a fair weather girl. I don’t do cold, humid, windy, or wet. Sunday was wet! So we put Plan B into action. We listened to bagpipes on Pandora and we watched You Tube videos of Scotland’s beautiful countryside, Scottish dancers, and bagpipe players. Thank goodness for modern technology. I’m now nearly maxed out on bagpipes and drums, big bushy hats, and tartan kilts. At least enough to get me through until next year!  Oh and for those of you outside of Connecticut, the Scotland Highland Games I’m referring to are held in Scotland, CT.

If you’d like to experience a bit of Scotland, here is a  Rick Steves video to enjoy.








Laura S. Pringle is the author of The Pringle Plan, a series of educational guides.

See books by Laura S. Pringle on Amazon

©2016 Laura S. Pringle. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments.