Followers

Monday, September 17, 2018

August Garden 2018


You can almost see the humidity hanging in the air
2018 has been a rough year for all us fair-weather gardeners! One heat wave after another, and humidity so thick my photos look dull by comparison to last August.

Redbud tree is falling over in the heat and heavy humidity

The new mower strip is doing its job - making weeding this area a breeze and no more weed-whacking!

These Buckthorns were planted at the same time several years ago, but one is determined to crowd out the other. Also, looks like its time to call our power wash service - moss really clings to the textured vinyl siding.

These hydrangea are holding up well in the August heat. The north side seems to be a good location for them.


Rudbeckia love this weather!

Liatris also doing well.

The thistle are sparse. I'll give them another year before deciding if they need replacing.



Behind the liatris is a row of feathery mystery plants. I remember planting seeds, but can't remember what they are!

The Jerusalem Artichokes have just started to bloom.  Although pretty, it means it is about time to cut them back. If I wait too long the flowers will go to seed and they will start to spread. I have a note on my calendar to cut them back before September 15th. I can also start harvesting the tubers any time now through October.

I like this view of the hydrangea tree even better than the front view.

I've been planning to transplant these hosta to the shade garden for several years, but they're doing so well here.

Delicate coral bells barely show up against the bark.


The nearby rhododendrons have grown so large they now create enough shade to cause my camera's flash to go off in the deep shade.

This is the lush rhododendron border I imagined when I planted 5 gallon pots years ago.

Clethra (Summersweet) don't care that it is so humid I have to keep wiping my camera lens!


Looking forward to some cooler, dryer days in September!

See books by Laura S. Pringle on Amazon

 The Pringle Plan is a series of educational guides. 

 ©2018 Laura S. Pringle. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments.