Followers

Monday, January 30, 2017

January Gardening



Rhododendron and Liriope
             
 I can see this rhododendron from my back window. It stays green year round. As anyone from the northern states knows, you have to have some evergreens in your garden to survive winter. They give you that piece of spring to hold onto, and something to look forward to.  The liriope have purple spikes that change to seed pods during the late fall and winter months. but the leaves stay green.

     One of my favorite things to do in January, is to pour over all the gardening catalogs that arrive. I place post it flags on all the pages that scream out, "Plant me!!!"  Then slowly over a period of weeks I begin the narrowing down process. What areas of my garden really need some filling in? What would combine well with what I already have? Which plants are truly deer proof? Do I need more color, or more greenery? Do I need some winter interest, or some traditional fall color? In the end I want it all, but the next question is what can I comfortably afford?

Redbud and dogwood trees anchor this island
   We've been in our current home for 11 years now. When we first moved in the yard was nothing but lawn. During the winter months I got out the graph paper, planned, and dreamed. Each year since then, we've added planter areas, walking paths, trees, shrubs, and assorted herbs, annuals, perennials, and vegetables. This photo shows the trees in their 2nd and 3rd years, and shrubs at 1 or 2 years. What does it look like now? Well you'll have to wait until I take some more photos this spring to find out - stay tuned!

My goal has always been to have all the landscaping done by the year I turn 60. That way it will just be easy maintenance from that point on. This year I'm focused on filling in some empty spots in the shade garden, fenced flower garden, and in the hot dry front sidewalk planter area. I'll also transplant a few baby hostas from a fenced area to an unsheltered area. I think they will finally be mature enough to handle some deer damage.

Potentilla Happy Face Pink Paradise
My favorite catalog is Bluestone Perennials. I've had great luck with almost all the plants I've ordered through them. The plants arrive healthy and strong, and continue to thrive once planted. No, I don't have any association with this company. I'm just a happy customer and want to share a good resource with you. I've planted the 
     

potentilla and baptisia in the sunny, hot, and dry area of the front garden. Both have proved to be easy and maintenance free, so I'm adding more this year.

Baptisia Australis


Hosta Old Glory
I'm going to try this hosta in my shade gardens. I need some green to liven up the burgundy foliage of the chocolate coral bells (heucherra). 

Phlox Laura

     This phlox, which seems to have been named after me (LOL!), will go in a fenced flower garden area. It's known to attract birds, butterflies, and hummingbirds. My fear is that it will also attract deer, hence the location of a fenced garden. The fenced garden started out as a vegetable garden, but in recent years I started changing it over to flowers. At this point in my life, I enjoy them more than maintaining a veggie garden. Fortunately, we have a wonderful organic farm stand nearby where I can buy all the fresh veggies I want. 

    Let me know what you are planning and share your recommendations. I'd love to hear from my readers!





Laura S. Pringle is the author of The Pringle Plan, a series of educational guides. 

 See books by Laura S. Pringle on Amazon

 ©2016 Laura S. Pringle. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments.