Followers

Monday, May 15, 2017

Lichen, Moss and Organic Lawns

Colorful lawn by the Connecticut River 

Lately, I've been craving nature. Not the planned, landscaped kind, but the organic kind. The kind of nature you see in un-manicured spaces, where plant seeds take root in the conditions they thrive in - all on their own. I've been using organic fertilizers for quite  a while now, and last year decided I could cut back on the heavy work of weed-wacking if I pulled out the grass and let moss take over along the edges. It's a slow process. I expect it to take a few more years to fill in the way I'd really like it. 

On a recent trip to Haddam, CT I found my lawn could be greatly improved with a few more weeds in it. I love the color, texture, and varying heights of this organic approach. 

Organic diversity


Delicate beauty

A few days later at Day Pond in Colchester, I couldn't help but admire the lichen growing on the trees and rocks; the moss growing around the base of the trees, extending into the shaded areas and sprinkled with lavender flowers.

Day Pond, Colchester


Moss and grass


Lavender flowers among the grass and moss


Low maintenance moss

Laura S. Pringle is the author of The Pringle Plan, a series of educational guides. 

 See books by Laura S. Pringle on Amazon

 ©2016 Laura S. Pringle. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments.